If you are planning to move out of your house, selling might seem like a hard task. Although the value of real estate often appreciates with time, you might realise that the amount you thought it would fetch is a bit too high for the market. As such, homeowners looking to sell their houses might opt to do some renovations aimed at making the house fetch a high market price. The secret to conducting such improvements is creating a plan. Prioritise the renovations and create a time plan for conducting them long before you put your house on the market. Below are some essential repairs and improvements you can make in your home to improve its value.
The exterior of your house is crucial as it is the first thing that will attract prospective buyers to view the property.
- Your lawns should be in excellent condition. Ensure that hedges are well trimmed, and the grass is regularly mowed. You can replant grass and flowers a few months before you put the house on sale to enhance the looks of your lawn.
- Ensure that the driveway and pavements are in good condition. If you have an asphalt driveway that is wearing out, call a contractor to do repairs.
- If your paint is wearing out, ensure that you give the house a fresh coat of paint.
- Conduct roof repairs if your roof is leaking. Additionally, clean the gutters and ensure they are functional.
Your home's water, electricity and heating systems should be in good condition.
- Replace burned out bulbs in the house; ensure that all sockets are functional.
- Repair leaking faucets and clean up all the sinks.
- If you have air conditioning, then ensure it is fully functional.
- Hot water systems should be working.
Your house interior should not only be appealing but should also stand out among other houses the buyer might have seen.
- Repaint the interior with quality paint a few weeks before putting the house on sale.
- All doors should lock properly. House fixtures such as wardrobes, drawers, stands and working tables should be in excellent condition.
- Thoroughly clean the floors, bathrooms, shelves and the ceiling. Do not forget the basement, chimney and garage if you have one.
- Upgrade your interior with beautiful wall hangings and artificial plants.
- Have a granite or marble kitchen working area.
- Upgrade the bathroom with new vanities, tiles and lighting.
To have an easy time selling your house, renovate and upgrade its exterior, utility systems and interior. Such actions ensure that the property will fetch a good price on the market.